Wednesday 25 July 2012

Natural Products and Animal Testing: My most used beauty products.

Using products that are great for our skin is very important to us, but it is also important that animals are not being harmed for our skins benefit. There are so many alternatives out in the wide world now that are reasonably priced and just as good for our skin, if not better, that do not test on our furry friends. Natural ingredients and the use of no nasties are really important to me so, recently I decided to check out the 'behind the scenes' as such of my most used beauty products. As far as I am aware a fair chunk of my collection is either natural, organic or not tested on animals. There are a bunch of products that I have collected, received as free gifts with a purchase, or been given as presents that I know are none of the above, and I don't really used them all that often now, if at all. They sit gathering dust and bulking up my storage cubes.

 I decided I would research how natural are my most used products and if nasties are used, if they are organic, if they are tested on animals or cruelty free accredited (CCF, no animal testing or ingredients), and if they use animal derived ingredients. Here is what I found. 

Face
Yes To Cucumbers wipes and cleanser are 98% natural, contain no nasties and are CCF accredited.
St Ives Apricot Scrub is natural, contains no nasties or animal derived ingredients. The product it self is not tested on animals, but it is believed that the company uses ingredients from sources that do test on animals.
Innoxa Super Sensitive Toner is natural and conatins no nasties. They also claim that most of their products are vegan, therefore do not use animal derived ingredients, with the exception of a few products containing things such as honey where the animals have not been harmed. They do provide a vegan friendly list to help clarify.
Witch Skincare Blemish Stick is natural, contains no nasties, does not test on animals or use animal derived ingredients.
Sukin Facial Moisturiser is organic and all natural, contains no nasties and is CCF accredited.

Body
Palmolive Milk and Honey Body Wash is not something I would usually purchase, I am trying to use up all my older body washes as to make room for the new natural, and CCF accredited ones. Though it is soap free which is an important factor for being, being allergic.
Puretopia Body Scrub is natural, does not contain any nasties or animal derived ingredients and does not test on animals.
Palmers Tummy Butter is CCF accredited but does use some un-natural ingredients such as collagen and elastine to help eliminate stretch marks during pregnancy.
I love.. Raspberry and Blackberry body butter is not test on animals and believes the company does not purchase products from companies that test on animals. The ingredients are not natural or organic. (But it does smell amazing, and makes a really like massage cream for when my husband rubs my aching shoulders and lower back)

MakeupRevlon Colour Stay Liquid foundation/Grow Luscious Mascara are obviously full of nasties and do test on animals. It was said that Revlon it self did not test on animals, but later it was found out that companies they purchased their ingredients from did. 
Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid foundation/pressed powder are naturally derived using cotton, green tea etc but do test on animals, which is a shame because this is my favourite pressed matte powder.
Mirenesse Tight Liner is not tested on animals and no animal derived ingredients are used. It is not made with natural ingredients but I have to say this is my favourite eye liner by far, I am so glad that Mirenesse are against animals testing and ingredients.
Bourjois Healthy mix Foundation and baked blush are not tested on animals, and as far as I know do not use animal derived ingredients. The foundation contains vitamin rich fruits but that is as natural as it gets. I am in love with this foundation/blush and again am glad they do not test on animals.
Garnier Naturals Anti-Dark Circles Roll on is not tested on animals. I am unsure if they use animal derived ingredients. A lot of their products have natural aspects, such as the lemon juice and caffeine in this particular product, but I am sure they still contain some nasties too.

HairI can proudly say all my hair care products are not tested or animals nor do they use animal derived ingredients. My hair care go to's are all from Lush, as well all know they are cruelty free and all natural. I use Karma Komba, Jungle, Rehab, Veganese and RnB. Davroe moisture senses Argan oil is something else I use all the time and it is CCF accredited. Organic Care Scalp Care, my anti-dandruff shampoo is also CCF accredited and organic.

When I colour my hair crazy colours I use La Riche Directions which is vegan. I do not use henna dyes as a few family members have had some bad experiences and I figure since we share the same DNA and our hair is fairly similar.. I don't want to risk it. Though I do try to keep with brands that do no test on animals.

So I still used a few products that test on animals, but since I have already purchased them, I have already supported them, so I am not going to waste them, just use them up and by non-animal tested products next time. Now to research the replacements!

Do you guys have any recommendations of natural beauty products that aren't tested on animals or that are CCF approved that I should try? Comment Below! x


No comments:

Post a Comment